Aging and Innovation Student Award
This award highlights innovative products, services, programs, technologies, and designs that promote the well-being and quality of life of older persons.
All students, including those from non-aging focused majors such as engineering, business, architecture, communications and the fine arts are encouraged to submit an entry for consideration. Rather than traditional abstracts or papers, this award recognizes and celebrates diverse and innovative products, services, programs and designs, especially those that reflect this year’s conference theme – Breaking Down Barriers. Entries may range from well thought out ideas that are on the drawing board to developed products, programs, and services that are in use today.
Examples could include, but are not limited to:
- Smart phone apps
- Virtual exercise programs for homebound seniors and/or their caregivers
- New clothing design for seniors and persons with disabilities which have dexterity issues
- Interactive gardens or urban spaces
- New therapy (i.e., OT, PT, speech and language) strategies and techniques
- Universally designed homes, businesses, workplaces, and public places
- Interactive games and activities between grandparents and grandchildren
- Assistive devices (e.g., exoskeletons) that improve mobility and make daily takes easier
- New age-friendly website design
Due to the vast array of possibilities, students (individual or team entries) are asked to provide a no more than three-page (double-spaced) proposal which includes a problem statement, landscape analysis, and a description of the product, service, program or design. If available, students may submit a picture or diagram, business plan or a video.
The winning entry will be select by the OAGE Awards Committee, receive a cash award and be recognized on the OAGE Website and at the 2022 OAGE Conference on Aging at Youngstown State University, April 7-8, 2022.
Educators are encouraged to discuss innovation and aging as part of their lesson plans.
There will be Informational Zoom Sessions on Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. and Monday, February 7, 2022 at 12:00 p.m. to discuss the innovation process, award requirements and timelines, and to answer any questions. If you are interested in participating in either or both of these sessions, please sign up at https://forms.gle/j1FzRJBuLho8qoME6 .
If you have any questions about the award or award requirements please contact Marc Molea at firstname.lastname@example.org.